W ASDA has been supporting the livelihoods of the most vulnerable people in Somalia since 1996. A large percentage of WASDA's projects are in the Livelihoods Sector. We empower the poor by improving their access to water, food supply and help them to produce food through agricultural activities. We also generate income for the beneficiaries through a cash for work programme.
Our development programmes assist in providing seeds, tools and training in Agriculture so as to empower people to be self sufficient either in farming or livestock rearing.
|Click to view enlarged photos|
|Donated donkey carts at a local market||Livestock support programme||Mechanized support in reviving agriculture for food security|
Objectives in Livelihoods
- Empower disadvantaged small-scale women farmers increase their food production and household food security.
- Improve livelihoods status of extremely vulnerable groups in the target areas through provision of livestock, agricultural inputs, creating small businesses and vocational trainings.
- Assist farmers in provision of quality seeds, fertilizers, agricultural tools and storage solutions.
- Engage farmers with modern farming techniques, storage trainings.
- Promote Microfinance among the farmer communities to reduce poverty and improve household income.
- Improve the irrigation water supplies to the project area and provide technical support where necessary.
- Provide employment generation opportunities through rehabilitation of infrastructure.
- Assist vulnerable people with Cash relief and increase household level income in emergence period.
- Improve agricultural infrastructure and prevent serious emergencies such floods etc.